Operations Manager job at The Benefis Health System Foundation
Organizational Structure and Job Summary:
The Chief Operating Officer of the Benefis Health System Foundation is the administrative manager responsible for implementing the mission, vision and goals of the Foundation. Providing overall direction and coordination of Foundation operations, including board governance, staff management, budgeting, strategic planning and marketing, the new COO will inherit a staff of six, including a development-focused staff of four and a finance and support team of two. , and reports to the Executive Vice President and Chief Resource Officer of Benefis Health System. The Foundation is governed by a 13-member Board of Directors made up of community and hospital leaders who bring a wide range of skills, community contacts and perspectives to the organization. The Foundation has an annual operating budget of $700,000 and raises over $2.5 million in donations each year. The two biggest campaigns each year are the annual Mayfaire fundraising event and the annual employee appeal, each raising over $500,000 a year. In 2021, 46% of Benefis employees took part in the call. Additionally, the Foundation has historically released more than $2 million in funds each year. Over the past three years, the largest release of funds has included $4.0 million to support the new $24.0 million Women’s and Children’s Center and $1.0 million to help pay for the replacement of the $4.0 million Varian Edge Linear Accelerator at Sletten Cancer Center.
The new COO will have the opportunity to build on existing employee and community engagement and take the Foundation’s fundraising to the next level by developing staff and leveraging relationships communities in new ways.
The successful candidate will have the following key priorities for their first 18-24 months:
- Develop and maintain key relationships within the Foundation, including working closely with the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees and Benefis management to fully understand their vision and philanthropic mindset and to prepare the Foundation for long-term success.
- Work with Foundation and Benefis system staff to understand day-to-day operations, ensuring the Foundation’s program is aligned with the Board’s vision.
- Actively reach out to community members and potential donors to understand their priorities and build relationships for future enquiries.
- Update Foundation strategies to increase future fundraising potential
- Lead the Foundation in its annual Mayfaire fundraising event, focused in 2022 on raising funds for the renovation and expansion of the Sletten Cancer Institute.
- Establish a plan to expand our Foundation’s presence in the Helena market.
- Serve as the Foundation’s spokesperson, educate and/or advocate for the Foundation’s mission and focus areas.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to healthcare or a related field.
- BA/BS required; Favorite master.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of successful fundraising experience for a not-for-profit organization, preferably in the healthcare field.
- Demonstrated success in nonprofit management and staff leadership/motivation.
- CFRE (Certified Fund-Raising Executive) certification or other appropriate professional designation preferred.
- Excellent relationship building expertise and strong interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to persuasively articulate the need for health philanthropy, both in person and through proposal writing and development.
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Publisher. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software preferred.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- Excellent presentation skills.
Job requirements, physical requirements and Accommodation:
- Ability to travel as required, both locally and potentially throughout Benefis’ 48,000 square mile service area.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
- Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential job functions
- For the physical demands of the position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, click here.
Salary range $135,000 – $160,000 DOE, plus incentive compensation.
A solid benefits package includes health insurance coverage for medical, dental and vision care, life insurance, long and short term disability insurance, employee assistance program, PTO and many other optional benefits. See the detailed summary of the 2022 benefits plan
The Benefis Health System Foundation retained the services of Jan Glick & Associates, LLC to facilitate this research on their behalf. To apply, interested candidates should send their cover letter and CV by email to: [email protected]
Email applications with a cover letter are required.
The position is open until filled.